December is in full swing and we’re only 4 days in! Being in the retail industry, my holidays have always felt hectic but this year, with a new job, remodeling a new home and the usual holiday insanity, things are feeling even more overwhelming. I had all these great intentions for the blog in the month of November, but, as always, I grossly overbooked myself and wound up not having enough time to do all the things I wanted to do. I decided to focus solely on the “Thanksgiving feast” posts. I hope you all enjoyed those and, at the very least, got a great recipe or two for your own Thanksgiving dinner. Now, it’s time to get back to basics and back to giving you more décor and DIY…right after I finish with this Chicken Pot Pie 😉
I made this for dinner a few nights ago and it was insanely delicious! Chunks of chicken, squash and kale in a yummy chicken broth gravy…umm…YES!!
Squash, Kale & Chicken Pot Pie
Serves 2 large dinner size pot pies or 4 side dish size pot pies
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium white onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped
1 small bunch kale, stems removed, leaves chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2″ pieces
1 lb cooked chicken breast (about 3 medium boneless skinless breasts)
1 box frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 large egg
You have 2 choices for serving your pot pie: 1) cook in a large cast iron skillet making one large pot pie or 2) cook all ingredients through step 5 in a regular skillet, place vegetable mixture in individual dishes and cook personal size pot pies (which is what I did). If you do decided to use a large cast iron skillet, you will need to adjust cook times for puff pastry to cook thoroughly.
1. Cook chicken in desired manner. I boiled mine, small stock pot with salt and boiling water, add chicken and boil for 20 minutes. Remove from water and cut chicken into 1″ pieces.
2. Place a rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 400°F. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add garlic and sage to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic begins to brown, about 2 minutes.
4. Add kale and season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing often, until wilted, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour over, stir in broth, and mix to combine.
5. Add squash and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is just softened and broth is thickened, about 8-10 minutes. Add chicken to skillet, stir, and season with salt and pepper.
6. Spoon chicken mixture and gravy into individual oven-proof dishes. Unfold pastry and smooth any creases. Depending on the size of your serving dishes, cut the pastry to the shape and size of dish with 1″ of excess dough to hang over side of dish. Place over dish allowing corners to hang over sides. Whisk 1 egg and 1 tsp water in a small bowl. Brush pastry with egg wash; cut 4 slits in top of pastry to vent.
7. Bake pot pie until pastry is beginning to brown, 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F and bake until pastry is deep golden brown and crisp, 15 minutes longer, Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
*Original recipe from Bon Appétit.
One thought on “Squash, Kale & Chicken Pot Pie”
This sounds delicious- I never thought of using kale in pie!