Happy new year everyone!! What did everyone do to celebrate?? We had a very low-key night, stayed in, finally finished watching Stranger Things 2 and I nursed a cold. I have to say, I’ve been so lucky and somehow haven’t gotten sick since before I was pregnant. But this on is a doozy. And sadly, Landon has it as well 😦 It’s one thing for me to be sick, to be able to take medicine or use whatever remedies I feel like trying but it’s so hard to see him sick when there is so little I can do for him. Fingers crossed it doesn’t last much longer.
I’ve been wanting to try chocolate zucchini bread for a while now. I had it in my head that there’s no way it could taste like a dessert with zucchini in it. Not that I have anything against zucchini. I love zucchini!! But…when I want chocolate, I want chocolate. You know what I mean?? So not the case here! For one thing, you can’t even tell that there is zucchini in here, let alone 1 1/2 cups! And, it comes out of the oven all warm and melty thanks to some chocolate chips mixed into the batter.
I was planning to make this with whole wheat flour but when I went to make it, my whole wheat flour was expired. Can you tell that I don’t bake frequently? 🙂 If you do want to use whole wheat flour, simply swap 3/4 cup whole wheat for the 1 cup all purpose flour.
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 large eggs
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups packed shredded zucchini
1 cup milk chocolate chips, divided
1. Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Grease a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and sea salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl (or the bowl of your stand mixer, if you’re using one) add the eggs, melted butter, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and coconut sugar. Stir until smooth. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir in the shredded zucchini and 3/4 cup chocolate chips until just combined. Note: if you’re using a stand mixer, do not use the paddle attachment to mix in zucchini and chips, I just did it by had with a spatula.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips over the top of the bread. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
5. Remove the bread from the oven and set on a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the bread to loosen it from the pan, carefully remove loaf from pan and return to wire rack to continue cooling until slightly warm. Cut into slices and serve.