So this isn’t the healthiest thing I make for dinner…but it is tasty! And one of my husbands regularly requested meals. It is also a relatively easy recipe with minimal ingredients, and can be made ahead of time and popped in the oven when you’re ready to eat.
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup salsa
2 tsp chili powder
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can black beans (optional)
6 whole wheat tortillas
chopped tomato and green onion for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°
2. Cook the chicken breasts. In order to keep the chicken juicy and keep from drying out when it goes in the oven, I like to boil the chicken breasts. Bring a pot of water to a boil, add chicken and boil for 15 minutes. Once chicken is cooked, use 2 forks to shred for enchilada filling.
3. While the chicken cooks, make the enchilada sauce. Combine cream of chicken soup, sour cream, salsa and chili powder in a bowl and set aside.
4. Combine shredded chicken, 1 cup enchilada sauce, black beans and 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese in a large bowl.
5. Divide the chicken mixture among the tortillas, roll and place seam side down in an 11 x 8.5″ baking dish. Pour the remaining sauce over the filled tortillas, sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover with foil.
6. Bake for 40 minutes or until the enchiladas are hot and bubbling. Top with tomato, green onion, sour cream & salsa for garnish (optional).